Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Roasted Root Vegetables Recipe

Like I said, I want to share my recipe for Roasted Root Vegetables. Really, it's not so much a recipe, per se, as it is a loose formula, very open to the adjustments of individual taste and seasonal availability. Also, I have to say, for integrity's sake, that I read a lot of recipes in an effort to come up with what I like. So, I could have totally lifted this from some chef somewhere inadvertently. Okay, I feel better. Here you go.

Roasted Root Vegetables

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

Ingredients:

2 to 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
4 to 5 medium, red-skinned potatoes, washed and cut into bite-size pieces
3 to 4 medium turnips, washed, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
1 or 2 medium to large rutabagas, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
3 to 4 medium beets, washed, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
4 to 5 springs of fresh rosemary
4 to 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 to 3 large heads of garlic, tops trimmed off evenly
3 to 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, more or less
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper

Like I said, this is really open to interpretation and is infinitely adjustable. If you can't stand turnips or are a little wary of the rutabaga, leave 'em out and add carrots. Or more potatoes. Whatever you like. Just keep in mind that you should have everything cut around the same size so that your vegetables cook fairly evenly.

Now, once your veggies of choice are all washed, trimmed and cut, toss them into a big bowl with the herbs and garlic. Season with the salt and pepper to taste, then drizzle with olive oil. Get your hands in there and give the mixture a good toss to make sure each piece is evenly coated. Once the veggies are seasoned and oiled, spread them evenly on a large baking sheet (or two, if necessary) or a baking dish, like so:


Bake for approximately 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 30 or so minutes and rotating the pans if you've got more than one. Your veggies should be tender and golden brown (the white ones, anyway) when they are nicely roasted. Note: Most of these root vegetables will cook at about the same rate, but keep an eye on each variety to make sure one isn't overcooking. The most likely culprit for overcooking - sweet potatoes. The turnips will probably take the longest to soften up and brown.

You can serve this dish as a side, but it's hardy enough for a vegetarian entree, I think, like I've got up top with a simple salad. And, yes, that is a paper plate. Photo stylist, I am not.

4 comments:

Larissa Holland said...

what a beautiful shot of the plate at the top! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this recipe. dee-licious, I'll be making it again.
I'd like to try to make borscht, ever since we had that delectable stuff in Sitka. Ever made it?

Robyn said...

Funny you should ask. I actually researched borscht recipes this week. Too much work for the ones that sounded right. I have so many vegetables to cook from our csa - I don't have time to spend all day on one dish! I've been trying a couple of other recipes this week for using the leftover root veggies and excess beets. I'll let you know how they turn out!

Sarah Bonn said...

Sounds yummy. I didn't notice the plate was paper - the food looks too good to see the plate, plus it pretty much covers it up.

Larissa Holland said...

Leigh is considering joining a CSA in Hville and I checked out a CSA in my area thanks to you. I'm intrigued, but afraid I'd let all of nature's goodness rot in my refrigerator.

Related Posts with Thumbnails